Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Thursday, April 5, 2018

Two Life Birds in a Single Week and I am Thrilled~


~Hellebore and double blossom Daffodils from my garden view~

Thanking those who spoke such kind thoughts about my dear friend who had been so very ill.  He is doing so much better and in fact has been released from physical therapy and may be heading back to work soon.  He and his wife have a planned journey to Spain the end of the month and I am beginning to think that I will be watching little Mister again ;)

I have been on an email list for several years now that shows what birds are flying our way, whether returning from migration, or simply migrating through thousands of miles from where they came.  My life bird list is not huge like many others have.  In fact maybe only ten in recent years including top of the list Great Gray Owl which I still long to view in the wild, Snowy Owl, Common Loon, which for the life of me, I can't understand why they use the word Common for such beauty...
Common...some of the meanings...widespread (Not here ;), frequent occurrence ( Not here ;), usual (Not exactly ;)~  I think their name should have been called something like Exquisite Loons ;)
 And a few other birds are on the short list to one day get to see and photograph.
Last week I saw the Common Loons for the first time and went on 3 occasions to try and get better quality photos.  The first time it was absolutely pouring down rain. The second time the sun was glaring right on them and the water.  The third time, they were just too far out on the water, BUT I saw them...check mark!
Many years ago my husband and I were invited to be some of the few that would be allowed to see a rare visitor to our area.  A Snowy Owl.  We went the next day and I was so excited at the thought, but the bird was no longer there.  It had already moved on.  Then we received a nice pair at our Louisville Zoo and I saw them there.  Just not the same as one in the wild, I was certain of that.
About three weeks ago I began to get the alerts that a Snowy was a two hour drive from Tingsgrove and it had been there since mid-January.  It took me until this past Monday to try and get there.  My oldest daughter Hillary, her two twin boys and I made the journey which was beautiful scenery along the way.  My heart began to race...I know kind of over the top.  Thoughts began to come, like what if it left during the night, what if we can't locate it, what if... and then we spotted 5 photographers standing along the roadway in front of a brick home, out in the middle of pastureland.  Now what else could they be there for but to be photographing a rare visitor to Kentucky from the far off Arctic thousands of miles away... They come from Canada, Greenland and the North Pole and here it was in our state with very little snow and doing well.  It was ID'd positively just last week as a juvenile/first year male.  I am still stunned that of all places, not far away I had the privilege of seeing this beautiful bird and it was just amazing~   

Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after    you have read the narratives~

I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter

Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
   
Maggie's  MOSAIC MONDAY
https://normandylife.blogspot.com/


 Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global 
   http://communalglobal.blogspot.ca/

Stewart for:





Male and female Wood Ducks...a single female and several males at a near by park~










     There were several Buffleheads  at the location of the Loons~






                   We had visitors to our creek last week...Mr. and Mrs. Mallard Ducks~



Our local Red-Shouldered Hawk pair have finally built a nice nest this year following two years of disastrous attempts.  I am so hoping that the owners of the land will allow me to pend the one tree as Raccoons are notorious for robbing the hawks of their young~  




The female takes a long break and catches a frog for her meal~





On my way to my daughter's this past Monday, I went to her local park and just missed seeing this Great Blue Heron fly through this bridge tunnel.  I was standing on the other side and heard it vocalize as it flew out my side~







Here is a very nicely written and brief article about the rare visitor in our state~

http://www.cknj.com/content/snowy-owl-pays-visit-taylor-county

~ Snowy Owl~

I took 430 photographs, slimmed that number down to 375 and came up with a few favorites to share~



I kept my distance which is not what everyone was doing evidently, and so all of my images are heavily cropped.  It turns out that no one lives in this ranch style brick home right now and so the bird has been using this porch covering as one of it's favorite safe places~















On the way home from seeing the Snowy Owl I took a few photographs through the car window~


Peach trees a long way from their fruit explosion~


A very old grave yard out in the middle of a corn field~
After my daughter dropped me off at my car I took a few images of the Bradford Pear trees that line the lane behind their home~



This mosaic shows the flooded field that I shared a few weeks ago and the same field now with White-tailed Deer grazing~


Some of my Spring Posies popping up.  More snow coming in tomorrow evening~


18 comments:

  1. Super work Twitcher! My you really got lovely action shots there. My first thought was why was the owl on that home but then you explained the place was empty. I can see why the owl attracted such attention as it is a fine specimen.

    I've never one in the wild. Like you before now, just in captivity which bears no relation to how they might perform in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mary, I see some prize winning shots of wood ducks. You caught them just right. We have a lot of ducks on our pond but none as beautiful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo takering. I would love to make some walks with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, congrats on your Snowy owl sighting. It is a surprise to see one in your state. They are beautiful owls, love the photos. Great shots of the ducks and heron. Your flowers are gorgeous. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these pics are wonderful, but I couldn't take my eyes off that owl. Lucky you! I told hubs how many pics you took since he is always making fun of me for taking so many shots. He rolled his eyes. :) I would have done the same. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful experience - the Owl is beautiful!
    Earlier this year I saw a pair of Wood Ducks - my first time ever to see them. They were far out on a lake. My photos are too blurry to post on my blog, but good enough to ID them
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful photos of so many wonderful feathered friends!
    I truly enjoyed your photos.
    Happy WE!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be still my heart!! Wood ducks and the snowy owl!!!

    For sharing with us at I'd Rather B Birdin', I thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!:) I kept saying WOW, all the way down your post, and then I came to the beautiful Snowy Owl. What a fabulous encounter,...no wonder you took so many photos. Beautiful flower, Wood duck, and eagle images, but the Snowy Owl is hard to beat for my favourite pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Link exchange is nothing elѕe however it is simply plpacing the othuer perѕon's web sіte link on your pagе
    at suitable place and other person will also do
    ѕame for yoᥙ.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary -- those Snowy Owl photos are exquisite -- what an amazing sighting. Thank you so much for sharing it. Did your twin grandsons see it too?

    All of your birds and flowers are just wonderful; it's beautiful in your area in early Spring. I think of my Mother and how she must have enjoyed some of these same kind of things as a child and young woman. I wish she had told me more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to be recommended this web site by my cousin. I'm now not sure whether this post is written through him as nobody else recognize such particular approximately
    my problem. You are amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting to be able to tick another two birds off your list! I'm so happy to hear that the Red Shouldered Hawks have managed to build a safe nest this year I remember with horror how previous ones have collapsed and disintegrated. Hope you can keep them safe from the raccoons. Love the blue heron mosaic!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my! Lucky you! The snowy owl is magnificent. You are so lucky to see one in person in the wild. When I lived on Galveston Island we had a loon couple on our lake -- loved them. All of your images are stunning. The great blue is one of my favorite birds. Love the beautiful wood ducks. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are absolutely incredible! They are beautiful!! Thank you!! Wishing you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting to see that Snowy Owl. He looks like he didn't mind all the attention.
    The wood duck photos are stunning. Their colouring is so beautiful; I love seeing them in the wild.
    I hope you see loons you can photograph - they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never seen such a lovely Daffodile! Incredible! That snowy owl is pretty amazing too! Have a wonderful week.
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.de/2018/04/belfast.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mary, I just love your bird photos. I would love to see a Common Loon. I keep looking. Thanks for sharing and have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~