Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Friday, April 20, 2018

Long Story, Must Share...This is Who I Am~


Long story...must share...
4 years ago I happened to see a Bald Eagle carrying a fish across land where I was taking pictures of a Red-Tailed Hawk. I never could quite figure out where the Eagle flew and then someone invited me to go see a Bald Eagle 17 miles from home. It had to have been one of two that I had seen a few weeks prior as it was really close to where I had pulled off the road to snag a few shots of the Hawk. I would go to the land the Eagles were on and just sit in my car and observe them. One day a truck pulled up beside my car and a man rolled down his window..."Hi there... are you getting any good pictures?" he asked. "No not really, they are out of my camera's range." He said "well then, follow me, let's drive on back." He opened the big entry gates and I followed him. Robert had done renovations on historical homes and he had put in a whole lot of love and work into this property, along with his father and son at times. His heart was very attached to this old home. He talked with the Property Manager Juan and another gentleman and allowed me to come and just sit in the quiet of the beauty of this place. Not only were there Bald Eagles, there was a pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks, Coopers Hawks, American Kestrels, Baltimore Orioles, White-tailed Deer, Wild Turkeys and so much more. The home was absolutely gorgeous and I was blessed in being able to photograph the interior twice and that meant so much to me. So many take vacation journeys to the beach, the mountains, but for going on 4 years, this was my place, and I spent hundreds of hours there, alone and quiet and taking in His nature. In 3 seasons with the Eagles I was blessed to watch 2+2+3 Eaglets go from young fluffiness into beautiful soaring birds. In fact last season Kentucky Fish and Wildlife sent a plane over all of the nest sites to see how many eggs were in each nest and last year they thought this nest site had two. It was me who got to officially make the announcement that there were three on the nest and everyone was delighted, but probably not any more than I was. I met some wonderful people along the way and I am forever grateful for having this beautiful blessing given to me. Last year the Governor wanted the property SOLD and I knew that it was just a matter of time then and I would no longer be able to sit on the porch and observe. Last July the nest that had been used for 3 years suddenly broke away and most of it fell to the ground. The birds built a nest in one of their original nest trees, where they had enjoyed perching. It kind of slopes towards the back and it's still under construction. From the first time I observed it I thought...please only a single bird this season and as far as I can tell, that is exactly what there is. Last Tuesday I got the text message that I knew would come...Juan alerted me that the house had been SOLD and they had closed the deal. A family with five children will move in and I am happy for them and filled with some sadness for me. Grateful for the opportunities I have had in this and hoping that I can see the finality of this season and get to observe the young one soar in coming weeks. My heart is full of mixed emotions. This is what I do, this is who I am and for me this is huge. Ever since I was in the 6th grade these large Birds of Prey have been in my heart...since 1978 and having had a Federal permit along with my husband to rehab and release them for a couple of years and then watching them in our area, it is something that is in my blood and this has been so rewarding, and precious for me. These images are heavily cropped and were taken in falling snow this week, but I was filled with such joy in seeing that sweet face of what appears so far to be the only Eaglet on this nest...
 



Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after    you have read the narratives~

I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter

Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
   
Maggie's  MOSAIC MONDAY
https://normandylife.blogspot.com/


 Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global 
   http://communalglobal.blogspot.ca/

Stewart for:













The snow just will not quit in Kentucky, or many parts of the USA...and I am so over being tired of cold weather... 
I can't complain though for having too much snow, we have not had a whole lot, just enough to call it in for a school day off and bad road conditions.

National Symbol - Turkey vs. Eagle

"As an old tale goes, after the eagle was chosen for national emblem, Benjamin Franklin questioned the choice. In a letter to his daughter regarding a medal created by the Society of the Cincinnati, he wrote wryly: "The Bald Eagle is too lazy to fish for himself; when the Osprey has taken a fish ... the eagle pursues him and takes it away from him. ... Besides he is a rank coward ..." frightened by a Kingbird. But the Wild Turkey, Franklin wrote, is "a bird of courage [that] would not hesitate to attack a grenadier of the British guards, who should presume to invade his farmyard with a red coat on."




Wild Turkeys in the snow and on display mode ;) ~





I didn't even see this delightful Red-Fox Squirrel until I got home and uploaded my images for the day.
The second Squirrel was at the local park, so adorable, just love this species.  Raised and released 6 of them~


A male with two female Mallard Ducks down the lane from Tingsgrove~



As I said above, I am over the cold weather.  I have a difficult time getting out in the fresh air when it's cold.  My feet have poor circulation and they become very painful.  So...I have continued on with my Marbling pour paintings, which have been a great way to escape time and cold.  This is my favorite and it will soon be framed.  I took close-ups of sections of it.  Can you see faces, animals in the large formed cells?  Use your imagination...;) I can see lots of things~






The two images on the left are the same painting and I have not decided which direction will be up, or down ;)  The two on the right are very small paintings~



These 4 images are of the same painting, with turning it in all four directions, trying to determine it's best look~


These two turned out very nicely and I will have trouble giving either of them up in the future~



Golden Crowned Kinglet~




Had to get some colour inside, ready for the real Spring~


Yellow-rumped Warbler...aka Butter Butt~


Blue Gray Gnatcatcher~


Image may contain: bird

Image may contain: bird and sky


Sunrise reflections a few minutes apart, the same body of water~




Swallows snagging insects, love these birds~




10 comments:

  1. Enjoyed all. Hugs.

    To be honest...I'm glad good ole Mr. Franklin didn't get his way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos and your paintings are wonderfully beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really do take the most awesome photos. I would love to see them printed in a book! And I appreciate the story you shared. And so very happy to see that baby Eaglet! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary - I am praying that you might form a relationship with the new family and continue to enjoy the outside aspects of the property that has given you so much joy over the years! As usual, you have spectacular photographs that I hope to emulate someday. I especially liked the Kinglet pictures because of the way the light is playing on the fresh green leaves. Several of your Marbling pour pictures reminded me of octopus suckers ... love them!!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great story...and a life changing outcome!

    wonderful Mary...to read this & view the pictures!

    I'm sending my thanks to you for sharing your blog photos with us bird lovers this weekend. It's our privilege to visit you from I'd Rather B Birdin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mary, I enjoyed your story and the eagles on the nest. I hope you are still able to visit and photograph on this land. Love the sweet Kinglet and Warbler. The turkeys are awesome, the tail feathers are so pretty. Wonderful post and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing this post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I was so enthralled by your short bio and how it came about that you have been able to take the wonderful images that you share with us. I truly hope that the new owners are as gracious as the previous one and allow you to continue "being you".
    As always it's a joy to have you with us on Mosaic Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely lovely. Tha ks for sharing. Happy Mosaic Monday

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your eagle nest pictures Mary and really enjoyed reading your backstory! "Our" eagles hatched and raised two this year and they are almost ready to leave home -- any day now. They are eating by themselves and doing some hunting. Then they fly back to the nest. We are just that much ahead of you with the weather, so ours are much earlier.

    Loved the rest of your pictures, especially the turkey tail fans! I'm sorry about the home being sold but glad it went to a good family. Maybe you will make friends with them and be able to go there still.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful story. People really are so very kind. I'm glad you were able to enjoy watching your beloved eagles and hawks from the house. Perhaps another perch will come your way.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~