Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Friday, February 7, 2020

A Very Special Winter Guest and More~






Happy Late New Year, Happy Almost Valentines Day ;)

On my way home from my visits with my sister who is still among us, now 9 months after the diagnosis of Small Cell Carcinoma of the lungs.  I will take my favorites back roads home and reach out to nature for it's peace and tranquility that it brings.  My stress level has been off the charts and I know for a fact that I have aged more in the past 9 months then at any other time in my adult life.  I am trying to take care of me as well and so these excursions with wildlife are my peacefulness.  
I am sharing today a pair of American Kestrels that hang out along the "Prospect Bridge" or rather the Lewis and Clark Bridge in Prospect.  The Bald Eagles have reclaimed the land where they were for 9 years prior to last breeding season.  The entire nest season last year was a huge disaster and one that I hope I shall never witness again.  Not only that, I have located also a second Bald Eagle nest that is only a few miles from the one I am familiar with.  What exciting times coming...I so hope it all goes well.
Here is to hoping that you will enjoy the shares here as much as I have in placing them together for this very tardy post presentation.
Hoping all is well with each of you and that you are enjoying those things that make you happy~

Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after  you have read the narratives~


I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter


Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
   
Angie at:  
Mosaic Monday
https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/




Stewart for:




American Kestrel~






















Red-Shouldered Hawk near home~








I watched this Great Blue Heron fly along the Ohio River last week, near one of the Bald Eagle nest sites~




Belted Kingfisher~






Eastern Bluebird in my side garden last week~









I cannot begin to say how very Happy I am in seeing our two Bald Eagles busy with their nest site once again.  I had not seen the female after July 3, for quite some time.  I learned from Kentucky Fish and Wildlife as well as Raptor Rehab of Kentucky people that possibly the female had been taken and was getting ready to be released back into the wild following an injury.  That however was a mistake and this pair is still very much together~








What a beautiful scene this is coming from the Indiana side of the Ohio River.  The nest is huge and hopefully it will stay secure for this season and for many seasons to come~






















Our new bridge opened December 18, 2018.  I have walked over to Indiana now some 8 times.  Each time I visit the Bald Eagle site, I must walk up to the beginning of the bridge to get the best views, about a 15 minute walk from the car lot.  I watched as the very first large sections of bridge were being placed 5 years ago.  The Eagles put up with dynamiting near by over and over again and stayed right on point~





And here is the second Bald Eagle site location.  My daughter Hillary has a friend that lives very near this one and told her to let me know where it is.  How exciting~

These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago and then some have been done this past week~






It's very peaceful along the river and the eagles seem to sense that for right now~





Meet Petey, a Winter visitor to Kentucky.  Petey is fondly called that by as it happens a gentleman that I went to school with from St. Matthews back in the 1960's.  Lee Squires and his wife Linda are hosting Petey.  He is a Western Tanager and is far, far from his home range of the Northwest of the United States and up into Canada.  They migrate down into Mexico along the Gulf side.  Petey is only the second documented Western Tanager to show up in Kentucky.  Lee and his wife are enjoying their visitor and he is being well cared for.  Every morning right on time Petey appears in a favorite tree near the feeding station attached to the kitchen window.  He partakes of live and dehydrated meal worms and he enjoys fresh fruit salad ;) with blueberries, apples slices and bananas to name a few of his favorites.  I have been fortunate enough to make a few visits into the city to stop by and see this beauty.  We all hope he survives the remainder of the Winter and will decide to return to his home grounds.  If he decides to stay he will be well taken care of~






Petey face to face with a Tufted Titmouse  and to personify the image...
Are you one of me?                                                                                        
;) 








I snagged this gorgeous Red-tailed Hawk in pouring down rain one afternoon~



Sunrise at one of the lanes around the block from home...my country lanes where I travel to enjoy the tranquility of nature.  
Do you have favorite places that bring about tranquility?









14 comments:

  1. Wow, great assortment of photos. That first bird has fantastic markings. And I always love seeing Bald Eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary, sending prayers for you and your sister. I can only imagine how stressful the situation is for you and your sister. Your Kestrel, hawk and Eagle photos are wonderful. The Western Tanager is a gorgeous bird, I was lucky to see one in Washington State one trip, no photos though. Beautiful sunrise capture! I hope all the Eagle nest are successful this year. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for your visit and comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I just mentioned in my post today that I drive through our State Arboretum when I get a chance because it is peaceful. I also go up on Skyline Drive, which is not far from our grocery store. Best wishes to you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful set of photos. Well done. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing photos!! It has left me speechless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many beautiful birds - love the first one and of course the eagles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just one word Mary!....WOW.

    thanks for linking up at I'd Rather B Birdin' this week.

    ~Hootin' Anni (aka Anni at I'd Rather B Birdin)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary - I am glad for you that your sister continues to persevere. I can only imagine how wearing it must be for you, while a blessing at the same time.

    I have always admired the coloring of the kestrels, and it is wonderful to see it captured so well in your photos. I am impressed with the nests that the eagles construct. And Petey - how adorable. Hope he can make it back to his western roots! Thanks so much for returning to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bridge looks awesome! Your birds are pretty and rare to me. Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have really enjoyed your post, and your beautiful photos. How special to have the eagles all around you. I hope Petey stays safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv birds and your photo share is awesome
    Happy Monday

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love love the hawk photos and the Eagle. Just gorgeous.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Mary. Came by to let you know I’m thinking of you . And found id missed this beautiful post. I’m so glad that you are finding some peace in nature ...all of your pictures are exquisite as always. Best thoughts to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~