Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, February 5, 2011

All Black and One White~

The past couple of days my husby and I traveled to Southwestern Kentucky to an area called Land Between the Lakes. It was a journey to seek out at least a few of the 200-400 Bald Eagles that visit the 170,000 acres this time of year, since being reintroduced in 1980. That year, we saw 42. This visit we saw none, notta, zip and it was not as of we did not try. They have excellent, colourful maps. They have people whom share with you where the best sightings are for those that tend to roost in a given area, where a couple of well known nests are, etc. The problem is that you can hardly locate some of these areas, even with the map, some of the primitive roads are not even marked, no signs, etc. We tried the Welcome Centers, closed for the season. We tried getting a bit of help with the toll free number, nothing, no real person, only messages to leave messages. It was a long journey of 5 hours each way, and a little disappointing, however we did see a couple of neat things, the first one and least of these was a sighting of a flock of Common Grackles and among them was a solid white albino one. I must admit, it is difficult to spot in the only image that I got of it, but see what you can find. It is in the upper part of the second image shared, and I also zoomed in on it for the bottom entry.  We had watched it on the ground with a bunch of the darker ones and it seemed to be accepted well, and then they all flew up into the trees as quick as we had spotted it~







 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Mary,

    Pretty cool seeing the albino grackle! Shame you missed the eagles, I would think you needed to be near water where they can fish. I've only visited there briefly a long time go. I'm sure I could find you at least 4 eagles at our Lake Jordan in no time, i have seen maybe 12 from a short kayak excursion.

    BTW guess what my post is about today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice - it seems like it's a very hard bird to capture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a shame. The eagles maybe were over visiting your place and didn't know you were coming to visit them. Happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~