Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Thursday, May 24, 2018

Spring Babies, A Visit to the Zoo and Visitors~


Hi everyone, I hope that this post finds you doing well and enjoying your days.  Our Spring has come on like the heat of Summer and dragging hoses around to water and mowing with a power push mower which takes me 5 hours on a good day to mow the 2  1/2 acres, finding out that my new lawn (the section that was fenced off for our three Long Coat German Shepherds) that has taken over a year to finally thrive has Brown Patch Fungus Disease and I am battling that, along with watching my grand-daughter a couple of days a week, my time the past three weeks has been quite busy.  
Busy is good though...right :)  
The top images are of my Poppy plant that I purchased several weeks ago, only to have the weather be so unstable outside, I was forced to keep it inside under a grow light and finally last week took it outside and what a lovely blossom and a few more on the way~


Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after    you have read the narratives~

I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter

Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
   
Maggie's  MOSAIC MONDAY
https://normandylife.blogspot.com/


 Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global 
   http://communalglobal.blogspot.ca/

Stewart for:



My daughter Brittany and I took grand-daughter Maci to a local antique market last week.  I loved those chairs, but walked away without them~ 



Our youngest dog Svetka will turn 2 on the 27th.  She enjoys life to the fullest and we so adore and cherish her~


Yikes...I was so happy to get to meet Eileen Hildt Wise and her husband Michael a couple of weeks ago.  They were on vacation and came right by my exit and we got to spend some time together over lunch in my little village.  Many of you will know Eileen from: 

                                                 http://viewingnaturewitheileen.blogspot.com/
   Saturday's Critter


Our Carolina Wrens have used a nest box at our front door for many years to both Winter over in and raise young.  This year they set a new all time record... 11 young Wrens came out of the nest box over a three day period last week.  They were some of my first birds to bring me into the birding fancy~


11 young Wrens above and one of the adults below~



For over 25 years of the 36 years we have lived here I have had Bluebird boxes up.  No Bluebirds ever until this season and I was so delighted.  We have had Carolina Wrens use the boxes, Chickadees and House Wrens but this was such a wonderful surprise.  I only checked the box once a week.  First there were 3 lovely blue eggs, then only two hatched.  They were about two weeks old and one evening everything was quiet and I whispered goodnight little Bluebirds.  The next morning everything had been pulled out...that means nothing more than Raccoons...that is what they do and I was quite upset.  I plan to make some kind of changes before next season, that will give them a better opportunity to be successful~


Some of my flowers~



We have a pair of Red Foxes down the lane and this season they have had 3 kits.  They are taking away much of the young from other wildlife around here which in some ways has been difficult and then I have to realize this is the way that it is~




Two of the three kits above and the parents below.  
This was a heartbreaking night for me as the female killed all three baby Groundhogs, born to my favorite brown runt Groundhog that was only a year old this season~



Last weekend I was running errands between our county and the next county over when I came upon a female Red Fox and two kits playing in the lane I was driving down.  I couldn't believe the timing as I had decided the last minute to take a new route that I had not driven in years.







Our local Red-Shouldered Hawks have 2 eyas on the nest this season and they are doing great.  They have a couple more weeks before they will have fledged.  I am so hoping that things continue to go well~


The hen takes up a large space on the pretty small nest~



The hen flew over me on her way to meet up with her mate to chase off an intruder of a Red-Tailed Hawk already being mobbed by the local Crows~


The Crows also have two young ones on the nest and they are so much fun to observe~


The Bald Eagle nest that I have visited the past 4 years and have spend hundreds of hours there...see last post that I wrote about it on May 3.  The lady who owns the land that the trees is actually on has been so kind to allow me to see visit once in a while since the Rosewell Estate was sold.  She too has now placed her home on the market and so it appears this truly shall be the end of the wonderful times spent there.  There had been two eaglets, but one of them fell from the nest and so this single beauty has been a real favorite for me this final season~

An adult brings in breakfast for the single young one~





We had visitors on Tingsgrove a couple of weeks ago, two of which were new for me.  The Swainson's Thrush and a pair of Summer Tanagers.  I got some nice shares of the male, but the female images were very dark.  
We also had a Great Crested Flycatcher make a lower to the ground appearance than when I have seen them in the past~






I took grand-daughter Maci to the Louisville Zoo this week and we had such a lovely time.  It was the perfect weather for it too~




She went on the Carousel, and she got to feed the Giraffes~



We saw Warthogs~


Cranes...look how beautiful and then how funny ;)



We saw Gorillas~


And Meerkats~


The Elephants have a new feeding net that they were enjoying...one of them will have a baby in coming months~


The Rhino is all alone for now while awaiting a new one to finish out it's quarantine from another Zoo~


One the grounds of the zoo were many Canada Geese all proudly showing off their young Goslings.

It has been a busy time as I said earlier and a three weeks since I was last able to post.  I have missed you and so I want to hear what you have been up to and will be visiting as many of your blogs in coming days as possible.  
Take care, stay well, stay safe, be blessed~



17 comments:

  1. I can't believe 11 wrens came out of one nest! All of that from one little mama wren. I understand your heartache with the groundhogs and the bluebirds. We had swallows nesting in our bird boxes, and a squirrel came along and gnawed his way around the hole until it was large enough to put his head in. The swallows pestered him diligently, but he persevered and the swallows have not returned.

    As always, your post is just chock full of delightful images - I can't help admiring the playful foxes - what a terrific series of shots.

    I hope you get some rest over the Memorial Day weekend. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful visit I just had in reading your post--
    you do a wonderful job of taking photos and letting us share your adventures--thank you-
    enjoy, di

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary, what an action packed post. I love the zoo animals. Your granddaughter Maci is a cutie. Looks like a fun zoo trip. Your birds are all gorgeous, The Summer Tanager is a beauty, I also love the Thrush and Flycatcher. The baby wrens are adorable. Love the goslings too. The fix kits and a wonderful sighting. Your photos are awesome. BTW, I was very happy be able to meet you in person. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mary,
    I have been absent from blogging for many months so it is a delight to finally reconnect and view the various Spring sightings in and around your home. Sorry to hear about the Bluebirds ... hopefully they will have more success in future years.
    Best Wishes ... Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome zoo shots! Looks like a nice family visit. Loved your pretty poppy and other lovely flowers. Also, that Summer Tanager and Bluebird...gorgeous! All your photos are just wonderful. Have an awesome Memorial Day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I totally forgot about the fox and that was an absolute delight! I have always loved foxes and would love seeing them in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photos!!! Happy Mosaic Monday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been a busy time for you indeed but I am so thankful that you had the chance to share all these beautiful creatures with us at Mosaic Monday today. I can't decide which set of images are my favourites because they are all wonderful. When combined with such excellent story telling they has made this a delightful visit, merci.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome to meet Eileen!

    Mary, loved going to the zoo with you, and meeting your family members!

    And, as always thanks for linking up this week! Your wren is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I remarked before - Maci looks so much like you Mary. What bad luck you had with the Bluebirds and the Grounhods and it takes a lot to be so philosophical and sensible to realise that that indeed is nature's way of keeping the balance.

    I feel for you in cutting that grass and we have the same problem if in a smaller way. We now pay someone £15 a time to cut the grass as and when. this makes it so much easier on the stress levels, not mention my old knees. That Summer Tanager is a real beauty as are those foxes.
    i hope you get your Bluebird box sorted for next year in a safer place, but failing that, perhaps they might have another go this year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, your post is full of amazing shots of both flora and fauna! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Busy is good...I agree! And FUN! Love those foxes and all the wild animals. Enjoy your day sweet lady! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's so much beauty in this post! Your flowers, your granddaughter, and all the wildlife. Foxes are such pretty animals, but destructive, too. Nature is often cruel, isn't it?
    In reply to your comment on my post, yes, I would have guessed that you talk to the critters you come across. It's easy to do, isn't it?
    Have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful collages. Those kits are Soooo cute

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sigh in contentment, and admiration for your time and efforts to make these lovely mosaics share with us. Maci is such a lovely girl, flowers and critters are beautiful. The fox family is so impressive.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, I'm just visiting from Eileen's blog, how lovely that you were able to meet up.

    So lovely seeing all of your photographs and grand-daughter Maci certainly enjoyed her time at the zoo.

    All the best Jan

    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow what a good post. Love all your great pics, so full of color. We had baby wrens and now they are gone. Don't know if something got them or what. They were down low to the ground. Now I have hung a couple of wren houses from a branch and hope they build nests in them.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~