Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Sunday, October 8, 2017

The Rosewell Mansion, & the Drumanard Estate~



Under construction.  
The Bald Eagles that I have had the good fortune to observe and photograph, now going on 4 years, lost one of the anchor branches and all but the base of their former nest, which was enormous!  They have selected for now to build on their favorite perching tree.  I feel a bit concerned as the anchor branches on this choice have also broken away and it will take a lot more secure nest building to see how things turn out.  I wish for them and the Red-Shouldered Hawks that I have observed since 1994, and have lost everything the past two years, that there were a nest building 101 guide, but then again nature has been doing this for centuries and they don't need my help.


Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after                                                                you have read the narratives~

I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter

Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
 Linking to I'd Rather B Birdin'

    
Maggie's  MOSAIC MONDAY
                                              https://normandylife.blogspot.com/


Stewart for:



The pair always seem to show such affection for the other, kissing beaks and chattering mysteriously in a language that only they understand~


A few weeks ago I was riding around the country lanes with my daughter Ashleigh and we happened to pull into the parking lot of our church.  
There I spotted this Red-Shouldered Hawk take a little Shrew, or Vole and then flew up into the tree right in front of my car.  
Perfect timing for me, not so much for the wee rodent~










A few beautiful Wood Ducks near our home with a touch of Autumnal colouration beginning to shine through~



I was driving through Prospect KY the other day and came upon this beauty flying towards my car.  I got out and shot these three images as it flew over me.  It ended up landing in a tree right above where I had parked ;)




The Drumanard Estate~

I went to the Open House of the Drumanard Estate Tuesday morning. Two people that I hold now as dear friends have worked on this property for several years and poured a lot of love, sweat and probably a few tears into the renovation of this and other properties also for sale...
Drumanard sits on a 52 acre wooded lot...
Built in 1929...
10,000 sq ft estate...
Cost to tunnel under the historic home and property to build the recently opened East End Bridge, now called the Lewis and Clark Bridge was estimated at $260 million...
Estate valued at approximately 8.6 million, the asking price for the bid past sale was 3.7 million.





















Here is a link to aerial footage of both properties that absolutely beg for someone to purchase them and I always say, add my name to the contracts so that I can claim a corner to continue to get to visit...
HaHa, who am I kidding.  It has been such a great opportunity, that can never be taken away~

http://kyinbridges.com/historic-properties-for-sale/

The Rosewell Mansion~

The Rosewell Mansion, some 7,000 sq ft has become a place that I hold very dear to my heart for personal reasons. The past going on 4 years I have spent hundreds of hours each year sitting outside on the porch and enjoying the peaceful quiet and the nature and wildlife so abundant here. Like the Drumanard Estate that I shared above, this mansion is also for sale and bids will been turned in on both properties next week.
Perched above a wooded grove near the Ohio River, the Rosewell estate is a throwback to Louisville’s well-heeled past: A Greek Revival mansion complete with Corinthian columns and eight fireplaces, and a brick smokehouse nearby.
A real estate brochure for the property suggests it’s an ideal setting for Kentucky Derby parties: 
“What better place to celebrate the Run for the Roses than at Rosewell?”
When this one sells, I am going to be quite sad...it will take away my amazing access to this place, to the wildlife, to the peaceful quiet that I have enjoyed greatly~



























15 comments:

  1. What wonderful photos, how lucky to get to be so close to eagles and watch their nest building. Great photos of both the eagles and the red shouldered hawk enjoying his snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary, wonderful tour of the mansions. Both look beautiful inside and outside. I hope they find a wonderful buyer. Awesome shots of the eagles and hawk. I hope their nest last a long time, sad that the branch fell. I guess they know what they are doing. Wonderful post and photos. I hope you are feeling well. Thank you so much for linking up your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always your participation and linking up at I'd Rather B Birdin' is very much aporeciated! Thanks.

    Beautiful post Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been around MM in a long while and it's nice to see your amazing photos of nature again. And the mansion tours were also interesting. What a lot of color and beautiful architecture. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning bird captures, especially the eagle that flew overhead, I do hope that the nest building progresses well in the upcoming weeks, don't want those chicks falling down to the ground.
    Now........I think I'm in love with the Drumanard Estate, if I had almost 9 million dollars I would purchase it in a heartbeat, it is so wonderful! How blessed you have been to be able to visit both estates in the past, I do hope that you are able to continue those visits when they are sold.
    P.S. If I was the new owner I'd let you visit!
    Happy Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your critters. Happy Monday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Mary. What magnificent properties those are - I'd love to own one of them, and roam those rooms. But I'd hate to maintain them!
    Your eagle photos are stunning, how lovely to have one fly right overhead. The hawk eating his dinner is a series of wonderful shots of real life in nature. And the wood ducks are lovely on the water.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Two beautiful estates. I always enjoy seeing the wildlife. The eagles and the hawk -- busy! Beautiful post. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful old homes -- I have a picture of my mother's "Old Kentucky Home" built in approximately the same style (but never as lush as those inside, from the way she talked). It was on property that was bought through eminent domain to put a public school once called "Durrett High' (a family name)... my bachelor great-uncle was allowed to remain in the home on the property until he died, but then it was torn down. (All such a long time ago -- it's not even a public school any more now.)

    Anyway, your nature photos are beautiful and I'm sorry you'll be losing access to that one property if it sells. Your flight shots of the eagles are spectacular -- I'm so envious. Love them and as always your hawks and beautiful kentucky!

    Anyway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, and thank you always for your kind words.
      I know right where Durrett High School was and now is the Louisville Male High School. It's out on Preston Street and is very near the Evergreen Cemetery where as a child, we released out two Easter ducks when they got too big and we were moving. My father's father is buried there. There is a name attached to Durrett on Google search, Sallie Phillips, is that your name?
      I live Northeast of the city in an adjoining county, some 30 miles away.
      Take care~

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary -- Sallie Phillips Durrett was my maternal great-grandmother. Sallie Durrett Thompson was my grandmother, the only daughter in a large family. She was widowed young; my mom
      and aunt grew up on Preston Street Road, the poor relations on the family compound. I really need to write down all the family stories while I can remember ... there are a lot.

      I never saw the school until after the name was changed -- when Bill and I visited Louisville, the principal kindly took us on a tour... at that time there was a picture of my great-grandmother in the hallway and also one of my great-uncle the one who had lived on the property when it was bought by the school district.
      Thanks for the trip down memory lane!!

      Delete
  11. You finished up with one of my favorite items in that beautiful home...that huge mirror above the fireplace! WOW! And I'm glad your eagles are staying close. Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary - I don't know what to comment on first! Of course, I can never get enough of the red-shouldered hawks - the color on the wings are almost unnatural!!! And these estates - to die for. How wonderful that you have had an inside track to enjoy them and the grounds. I hope it all works out for you - maybe you can befriend the new owners?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Mary. I left Sue watching the soaps as I catch up with friends longstanding and new.

    I was so interested in seeing that Red-shouldered Hawk and how it allowed you those pictures – I think that birds are not too concerned about people when their priority is to eat?

    Those properties (estates) for sale are quite lovely and had I several million dollars or pounds I might include both on my very long list of places to live of which Greece is Number One. Of course I am hoping that those two places remain unsold so that you may continue your studies, observations and photography there, or failing that, you win the US Lottery and are able to buy them both!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~