Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Friday, March 27, 2015

Some of Dad's Favorite Birds From Florida~





  Dr. William Rush Cromer received a Master of Divinity and a Doctor of Education from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.  He was a professor at SBTS in Louisville for 41 years, where he was installed as the Gaines S. Dobbins Professor of Christian Education and had the longest classroom tenure of any Christian education professor.  He engaged in post-doctoral studies at Florida State University, University of California at Berkeley, Oxford University and Hong Kong Baptist Theological Seminary and was a visiting professor at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary.  He was the business manager of the Review and Expositor, a quarterly theological journal, for 17 years.  Dr. Cromer authored numerous books and articles and was a frequent lecturer and consultant for churches, associations, conventions and workshops.  In 1983, he was a co-winner of the Grawemeyer Award for Instructional Development presented by Kentuckiana Metroversity. Dr. Cromer taught over 4,000 students while at SBTS and also recruited to the school, the first woman to earn a doctorate there. Dr. Cromer served as the Minister of Music and the Minister of Education in 3 churches for 30 years.  He was a wonderful singer, and his bass-baritone voice was reminiscent of George Beverly Shea. Dr. Cromer loved his family dearly and served as a wonderful role model.  He was predeceased by his loving wife of over 50 years, Lois Spencer Cromer, whom he simply adored.  He is survived by his children, Bill (Mary), Dan (Lisa) and Brian (Laura), eight grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren. Following a private funeral service at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, burial will follow at Cave Hill Cemetery~ 

For those of you who have sent encouraging comments and messages, we are grateful to you.  This post was created weeks ago and uploaded into draft form, other than my entry image above.  I superimposed 3 images to make my dedication image to honor Dad.  I will return fresh very soon to visit your blogs.  Dad would have desired that of me. Florida was home to him growing up and my husband was born there.  I found it only fitting to share another Florida post with some of the images he had most enjoyed seeing when I returned 3 weeks ago~

Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slide show presentation after you have read the narratives~

I will be linking up with Judith for:

www.lavendercottagegardening.com

&

Stewart for:
   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com.au/


Great Egret 






Little Blue Heron








Great Blue Heron


Tricolored Heron


Not sure about this one...








When we were at this park, I had not taken notice of what was beneath the many nests in the trees...can you see them?


Double-crested Cormorant


These were probably my favorite birds...Anhinga









The images below show young ones just about ready to leave their nest area, being fed~






Wood Storks, I found to be interesting to see, so large and while maybe not so beautiful, very attractive in their own right~




Reddish Egret




Alligators were everywhere it seemed~


17 comments:

  1. Condolences

    ...and thanks for all the beautiful eye candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, so sorry for your loss. I am sure your Father in law will be missed. Sending my prayer to you and your family.. Awesome collection of birds and images.. Looks like an awesome place to bird.. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mary .. We both send our sincere condolences for your family's sad loss but know that you will always treasure many lasting memories of your Father-in-Law.

    Such a fabulous array of feathered images from your Florida trip.

    Best wishes .. FAB and A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your family's loss. May the memories of the joys you shared sustain you during this difficult time. You have created a beautiful tribute page Mary and I am sure your father in law would have loved these beautiful florida memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Mary, I offer my deepest condolences for your loss of this amazing man. You are so lucky to have known him and loved him. And what a fitting tribute with these FL birds. Thank you for telling us about your Father-in-Law. And I am sending lots of hugs to comfort you in your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you lost your father-in-law. He sounds wonderful. Your Mosaics and photos blew me away - SO GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Mary,

    My sincere condolences for the loss of your beloved father-in-law. He was truly a great man, educator, husband, and father. His passion for music and the many contributions he made in the church, are admirable for a man who must have led such a busy life. I know he will be greatly missed.

    How fitting that you should feature the beautiful birds of Dr. Cromer's beloved Florida. All your mosaics sparkle with the stunning captures of these striking birds; my favourite today and yours, is that of the Anhinga, as I sense a calmness and courage in both its stillness and flight. It is a beautiful bird, and I hadn't heard of it before. Thank you for sharing all your intriguing photos.

    Take care, my friend.

    xo
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, stunning photography, Number 8 & 38 are my favourites. You have got a new camera and lens, could you tell me what it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob, no same lens 70/300 about 6 years old now. I got the camera back in September when my Nikon D-90 died. I now use a Nikon 7000

      Delete
  9. Dear Mary, I received your comment and Thank You.

    You penned a wonderful tribute to Dear Dad. He was clearly an inspirational man to his family and also to every single one of the people blessed with meeting him throughout his distinguished lifetime.

    Your pictures and mosaics are a fitting accolade to a special person.

    Take care and Best Wishes to all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your memoir and loving words of your father was beautiful and touching. He lived a full life. In time, those memories as you wrote here on your post will bring a smile to everyone and a warm spot will linger in your heart. May he rest in peace.

    Your bird photos are absolutely amazing Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A most lovely and fitting tribute to your father in law. Such a God-honoring man. Your photos are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice tribute to your father-in-law Mary, he was an accomplished man and I offer my condolences.
    He would have liked your feature on the birds of Florida, as do I.
    Thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary That is. a wonderful tribute for your father in law. Your photography is excellent There are so many breeding in your area

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss! Dr. Cromer sounds like an inspiration to everyone who knew him...what a great life! I know he will be greatly missed!

    LOVE your egrets, storks, cormorants..all! The great egret always makes me think of a water ballerina! Your photos are amazing of all of them! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mary, I'm very sorry for your loss.
    Your beloved Father-in-law would have loved these beautiful photos. Everyone of them is a masterpiece.
    Wishing you and your family a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My condolences Mary, what a touching tribute to your father-in-law - he sounded a remarkable and inspiring man. Your photos are stunning as always and a joy to visit. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog - your kind words are so very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~