Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Nest Building 101~

The Red-Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove have been working on a nest for about one week and at least 1, or 2 eggs should have been laid in the past 4 days. Today it is raining, and raining and both of the adults have been brooding. The last copulation day that I know of for certain took place on Thursday. This nest as I believe I have mentioned is the smallest one in all of these years of keeping up with these beauties. The tree is massive and will make a beautiful backdrop to my photographs. There are so many obstacles to this nest, mainly the two lane road with much traffic that sits just 15 to 20 feet from the nest tree. Then there is the issue of the fast moving creek that also sits along side the nest tree, if since this nest is so small a chick should take a spill...oh my. My one prayer is this, that like last year after 3 nest attempts there shall once again only be one nest chick...that would be workable and most probably be a thriving successful season for this pair.  I have watched many a hwak get hit to smitherings by fast moving cars on the busy road near by and this is the most froghtening part of this nest.  The house will soon go on the market, has been empty for a few months, hence the great choice the hawks made on this property.  There will be yard sales near the nest tree, there will be people coming and going to care for the lawn, and also looking over the site and it shall be stressful for the birds and for me, yet I know that I can only do so much, and that if as it should be, however...

;) Why do these loverlies not just read my sign that says free trees for good nest building, private and quiet...I promise, please come back home~











No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~