Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mute Swan Displays~

Friday is the day that I most often treat my father-in-law to brunch. Yesterday we grabbed it to go from Starbucks, because, I had plans for us. His wife is buried at Cave Hill Cemetery and I like to take him by there often. Mute Swans, as well as various Raptors, mammals, and assorted ducks and geese live within the boundaries of these high reinforced brick walls. We made a quick purchase of a loaf of white bread too. Dad enjoys feeding his friends and I do as well. I ran into an acquaintance while I was taking photographs. He shared with me that one of the Mute Swans had a serious battle the day before. Evidently the larger male from the lake, made it's way with a smaller swan into the smaller pond area, where a female was already laying on eggs. Though I have never witnessed it, these aggressive territorial displays can last upwards to an hour. The swans will thrown each other around by using their strong, thick necks and push the opponents head down into the water and try to drown them...how horrible. He said that he and his partner had chased the intruding pair away. I am glad I missed that drama...however today, as my husby and I were going to once again, be in the area, I asked if we could go and take another look-see, and he obliged. There once again, the intruders had made their way to the smaller pond and the large male was doing his best to intimidate the male, whose mate stayed securely on her nest. We did not see any battles, but only stayed for round thirty minutes, when we had to depart. What I did witness and photograph though was the large intruder with his neck feathers all puffed out and his wings were all ruffed up big as well~













5 comments:

  1. Mary, they are so precious, you have taken the Mute Swan. It is nice you and father-in-law get on so well,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mute Swans are lovely creatures as your photos show Mary, but they can be aggressive towards other swans and even humans when defending young or territory. Perhaps best to let them sort their differences out and stay on the sidelines as they are big strong beasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just adore your swans and their reflections on the water Mary.
    Have a great weekend.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos of the mute swans, Mary! I am seeing more and more swans in Canada lately...and LOVE it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a majestic creature! Your photographs are excellent in capturing the regal essence of the swan. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~