Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Sunday, April 24, 2011

Close Encounter of the Hawk Kind~

On Thursday, I went to check on the hawk nest, the last sunny day that we have had in days. I could not tell if either of the adults was on the nest. When the male is on it, one cannot see him, unless he raises his head, but when the female is on, you can usually see a feather blowing from any air movement, or her head through the tree branches. On Thursday, I could not see either of them, but heard some songbirds slightly alarmed and looked in their direction. There she was, perched on a dead tree branch near the road and about 1/2 acre from the nest. Once she saw me, she took quick notice, gave out a yell and flew near me, but in a non-threatening manner. It was more to say, I see you, so stay put. I took bunches of great images and shall share a few in this post from the photo session. The season with the hawks, even though it has been going on some 40-45 days now, has a good 6 weeks to go until the young fledge. Every time, I look upon this nest, I cringe, yet they certainly know what they are doing...right;) My biggest concern is if a young one takes a plunge from the nest...that hopefully, I shall find it in good time to save...if it happens that I cannot, I accept, but not easily~












3 comments:

  1. Lovely sequence from your recent encounter Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if youngs fell from the nest, that's life, difficult to accept but life... Nice set of pictures Mary, once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sequense of shots. I also love your header. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~