Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, May 1, 2010

The other morning we had a roaming Opossum still out and about well after daybreak, our ever flowing creek, wildflowers, along with many songbirds make Tingsgrove a great place for nature watching~

Versatility in Nature abounds on the grove this time of year. The other morning we had a roaming Opossum still out and about well after daybreak. He quickly took to a tree and stared at me for a bit and then ambled back down and took off down a trail deeper into the wooded area. When I did rehab and release work for Kentucky Wildlife Line for eight years, some of my wards were Opossums. Yes, they can look mighty, yet truly they are mostly bluff, usually more frightened of you then they appear. I had one, that was slow to grow compared to others, and kept Opocomio longer to ensure he would make it in the wild. He was, along with another named K-Bluie two of the best little chaps ever. They ate everything, and would even ride around on my shoulder once full grown. I must however admit, they most certainly have some wild habits that are not very appealing, thus to have them as an all time pet, would not be of my greatest desires. With spring rains comes a nice flow to the creek. We have Wrens and Finches that make frequent visits to the seed trays as well~

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful place to live.
    great photographs Mary.
    Costas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very colorfull and interesting serie. Love the opossum shot's, i wish we had him here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, interesting that many of your wards were Opossums. I haven't seen any out and about for a while, but they are here: areas of the garden are now being disturbed and with indentations in the soil.

    P.S. Your photos of the turkeys are quite entertaining. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~