Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, March 20, 2010

The male hawk had just flown up into a tree from our acreage with yet another young snake~

These are not very sharp and yet I did want to share them anyway~ Yesterday as my husband and I sat outside enjoying some fresh air with our pup-cub, when a familiar image flew into view. The male hawk had just flown up into a tree from our acreage with yet another young snake. I am so glad that he is taking care of the Rat Snake population, at least the younger ones. One year I found a larger one that had just been killed. The hawk nest was next door that year and so I decided to feed the snake to the hawks. The female wasted no time swooping down to grab it, but when she landed on it, she realized it was far too heavy to carry off. She ate a bit, the male ate a bit and then they each would try and move it, not getting it even off the ground. It took a very long time and finally the larger female did get the snake moved into some hidden area and then she used her feet to spread old leaf debris over the remains to protect and have for a later meal~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~