I am at a loss as to the species of butterfly this is, other than I know that it is a swallowtail of some kind. I have looked at the photo images of the kinds of butterflies that reside here and this one does not appear. Maybe it is a shade of something that does visit, but I am truly not certain. I would appreciate anyone's help on this one. The colouration was a very fine cocoa brown and it had light tan spots in black areas, as well as the orange/red and blue spots~
I cant help you with the identy of the butterflies, but i can tell you i love the images :)
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteClearly and well photographed a Giant Swallowtail. One of about 15 east coast butterflies I have not gotten a photo of!! I almost got a photo of one on Oak Island in NC, but the VP Al Gore was vacationing there and I was told to put away my camera...
Thank you Randy Emmitt for the ID of this beauty. It is a Giant Swallowtail Butterfly, the largest butterfly in Canada, and North America. How awesome is that~
ReplyDeleteMary,
ReplyDeleteI think your info on the largest butterfly is out of date, I might be wrong. The recently discovered Appalachian Tiger Swallowtail might be larger. You can see it on my website www.rlephoto.com
I am glad that someone helped you. Those are beautiful pictures. I always admire your photos.
ReplyDeleteI m no expert with butterflies to help you Mary.
ReplyDeleteBut love your beautiful photographs of them.
Have a great week.
Costas
Hi :)
ReplyDeletemolto graziose ed eleganti queste foto di farfalla...
mi piacciono molto !
Buona giornata.