Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, March 16, 2019

The Bald Eagles Are Feeding Young Now~


Some snow fell over the Bald Eagle nest and our area this past two weeks.  During this time a lot has happened and while the nest holds on, it does continue to also fall away slightly as the birds try their best to add to it and build it up.  We had severe storms this past week and the nest remained and every day we are all thankful.  
I have not been to nest site since Tuesday, due to having had surgery but I have very nice people letting me know that all is well there.  
I will get there soon and I always look forward to it~


Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after    you have read the narratives~


I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter


Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
   
Angie at:  
Mosaic Monday
https://tentoesinthewater.blogspot.com/


 Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global 
   http://communalglobal.blogspot.ca/

Stewart for:








Choosing the perfect stick to take to the nest~




The Eagle carried in a Grey Squirrel earlier on Tuesday. Later in day it found the Red Fox Squirrel that I had thrown on maintenance road. You can see that the hen moves the Grey Squirrel over to edge of nest and moves the Red Fox Squirrel closer in for later. The Squirrel looks rather pitiful becoming a Flying Squirrel, but as is nature, nature is.









Tuesday a Red-Fox Squirrel was killed on the lane where I observe the Bald Eagles. It happened after I arrived and I went to see how bad the kill was. It was clean and so I picked up the Squirrel and tossed it on the maintenance road in case the Eagles might claim it. Sure enough it was worth the wait. The first pass the Eagle went up into a nearby tree to observe the Squirrel. It then made a couple of passes, actually picked it up and tossed it at one point and then flew back up into the same tree again. It was worth the nearly 45 minute wait when it flew back down and grabbed it again, this time taking it to a nearby perch to eat it's fill before taking it up to the nest to it's partner. At one point it dropped the Squirrel and then lifted it off the ground once again. The hen then fed her at least two hatchlings before she partook of some herself. It was worth the long wait to watch nature unfold~























Feeding what appears to be at least two Eaglets as she was turning from side to side and assuredly not feeding herself. We are hoping for the best for this nest (I don't give locations) as it has lost a main support branch and the front of the nest has fallen away~





This is an incredible story that I saw online last week, how wonderful that this can happen. 
I love this story~


https://otwtb.birdwatchersdigest.com/birding-news/bald-eagle-trio-paired-for-life/?fbclid=IwAR3VkMWPU7q8tJVymOvzhPc9vVFTgEgBvhfWZ5cpdwWXVOEp0e7dlAc1WWU



Eastern Bluebirds are already selecting nesting materials in our area~


Carolina Wren took a bath in a water puddle on deck rail~


Fox Sparrow, American Cardinals (female and male), Chickadee an Eastern Towhee (male) and a White-throated Sparrow~


Turkey Vultures waiting their turn following yet another White tailed Deer roadkill~







10 comments:

  1. Hello Mary, I enjoyed all your Eagle photos. You have some nice photos of the nest. I love the sweet bluebirds and wren. Great captures of the vulture in flight. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post today. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bald Eagle is the best, you have taken photographer Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bald Eagles are such amazing birds. I like your Eastern Bluebirds too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That's quite the story. I've moved roadkill to the field. It's fascinating watching them, isn't it? Even the nest building. Wonderful photos.
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always such a pleasure to see your wonderful pictures and read your stories of what is happening right on your doorstep. The Eagles are beautiful birds and I do hope their nest survives the terrible weather you've been having - what an enormous amount of work they must have put in to building it. I love the little bluebird - he's an absolute jewel of a bird.
    I hope you recover well from your surgery and get out to the nest site soon - you must be missing it.
    Diana x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, I always love your bird photos! Love the wren taking a bath. It has a wonderful tail. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary - another incredible series of photos that you bring to all at Mosaic Monday. I am so pleased that you were able to "recycle" the Squirrel - and, from a selfish point of view, we were able to see the resulting pictures. Praying that the nest continues to hold up until fledging is complete. Hubby and I were just checking on possible dates for the bluebirds to return, since we want to make sure our nesting boxes are squirrel-proof by then. It will be at least 8 weeks! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful eagle photos. Interesting story about the squirrel. Last summer I was fishing. I took my catch off the hook and threw it back in the water. Before it could swim away an eagle swooped down and caught it in it's claws. I don't know where it was watching from, but it got there in a flash. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  9. swooning over all those great shots.

    That baby is challenging mama and papa.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~