Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, October 27, 2018

Four Days in New York City~Oh My Goodness~


My daughter Ashleigh and I...doing our thing in New York City.  I have placed summaries of my journey within the images below that they relate to.  I hope that you will enjoy this journey now too~


Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after    you have read the narratives~

I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter


Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
   
Maggie's  
https://normandylife.blogspot.com/


 Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global 
   http://communalglobal.blogspot.ca/

Stewart for:

********************************************************************************

A little 30 second video clip that I made before heading to New York City.  Just copy and paste to your browser bar if you like~

                 https://www.facebook.com/MaryHowellCromer/videos/10215484489458419/



From out the window of the airplane heading into New York City 
and then my view of the Empire State Building last Tuesday and Wednesday. It was truly a view that I will always remember, so very beautiful. The images are of the first day, first evening and then sunrise on second day~






We loved Bryant Park, so beautiful.  Wish I could visit during the holidays sometime~







While in New York City this past week, we saw this little chap at the New York Public Library on October 16. We had a little talk with it and told that it needed to be heading South. I hope that it listened. Not positive, but in trying to ID, I am thinking a juvenile Tennessee Warbler. Any corrections appreciated~

It is a female Yellowthroat Warbler~





I had very few places on my list of places to see this journey into New York City due to limited time and allowing for the fact that Ashleigh was there on a work assignment. St. Patrick's Cathedral...back in 1969/1970... I had gone to see it and when I arrived was turned away from entering due to the fact that while very nice, I was wearing bell bottom slacks, and women at that time could not enter with pants on. I had waited a very long time to get to step inside and as we did, tears fell from my face, it was so awe inspiring. We lit candles in honor of my Mom and Bill's Dad~









Rockefeller Center & Times Square~




It was very important to me to get to visit Ground Zero and the new One World Observatory on my recent journey to New York City. Ashleigh and I found it to be a very solemn and moving visit. For me, it held all kinds of emotions that had been held deep within my spirit for too many years and I just fell into a heap of tears and tried to hold on to the present and let go of what had transpired on our land now 17 years ago. The thing that I recall the most was how strong a unity our country formed following 911 and how divided we are today~





The images taken from way up high...the fourth tallest building in the world, left me with images that needed some help and so I thought they reminded me of old postcards after I darkened their colour~







Underground at the One World Observatory building~



The two pools at Ground Zero took my breath away... 



This art work was on a few building just behind the Ground Zero site and I thought they were too colourful to not share them~


One of the many things that I saw while in New York City was one of the many who enjoy feeding the Pigeons. I happened to see this lady two different days and the Pigeons flocked to her on Fifth Avenue~


   The famous Penn Station.  I so wanted to see Union Station while I was there, but totally missed it due to such a tight schedule...next time ;)~


In 1969 I was taken to my table with our flight crew with a starched, ironed tablecloth around my waist into the fine dining room of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan because I was wearing a lovely pair of bell bottoms.  At the time and for another 20 years women could not wear pants into this establishment~




On one of the days while there, I had a small mission that I personally had set to accomplish thanks to a tip that my dear friend Laurene had given me. Several years ago there was a documentary film about a Red-tailed Hawk living on a high rise in downtown Manhattan along with it's mate and raising young, my husband and I really enjoyed it and never forgot about it.. What? Hawks living and hunting in the midst of the wild traffic and heavy populated city...why yes indeed. The hawk was called Pale Male because of his lighter coloured feathers. As it turned the gentleman who directed "The Legend of Pale Male" recently shared a picture on Riff Raff Hawkwatch  a Raptor group on Facebook of this bird, and my friend Laurene had tagged me on it. I contacted Frederic Lilien, the director and photographer about possible locations to maybe find either Pale Male, his mate, or offspring. I set off on a walking adventure that took me 2.9 miles in downtown Manhattan. I had stopped to ask about one of the locations and when I took a couple of steps and had stepped off the curb to walk another couple of blocks, when something told me to stop and look back up from where I had come. It actually felt like someone had tapped me on my right shoulder.  I turned around and felt warmth...it was entirely providential for as I looked up, there was Pale Male right  before me...I was in awe.  God had answered the desires of my heart.  There he was and I clicked my first picture, and after only 2 more Pale Male flew and I could hear him conversing with his mate, flying back and forth over the buildings and I was so hoping that it would return, before I had to catch a taxi back for a dinner reception. 

The images below will tell the rest of the story, other than the fact that I took about 50 more pictures of him preening and simply looking beautiful~


The Legend of Pale Male lives on at age 28 and staying strong~
                               




If you are a member of the Facebook Community, please check out the page for Legend of Pale Male.  Frederic shared my favorite photograph of this legend the other day and it currently has received 1038 likes as well as over 250 shares.  I feel very proud...it seems like I finally did something very well~








For those who are familiar with the story of the Red-tailed Hawk that I was able to locate after walking 2.9 miles in downtown Manhattan last week, or for those who had not ever heard of him. Here is a bit of a good read about him. At age 28 now, I feel mighty blessed to have found him and photographed him. There are other good reads about him on Google as well as you can always purchase the DVD about him.
Copy and paste the URL below to see a nice summary on...
"The Legend of Pale Male"

http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2017/01/02/chris-jacksons-dfw-urban-wildlife/the-story-of-pale-male/?fbclid=IwAR2dXh3ZYa6iXGjZ-lBhANOeTCovCBNKnF0PlnQ4NugMbVuMWfAlNeXmv8s




A marvelous week spent with my daughter Ashleigh and son-in-law Matt in New York City for the Be Strong Live Tour at Carnegie Hall. I met so many wonderful people who were in town also for the big event...it was all such a pleasure.

Congratulations to Be Strong for an awesome message received by 2,500 at Carnegie Hall as well as over 1/2 million were reached via simulcast...investing in the future generations one child at a time~
  The Be Strong Live Tour at Carnegie Hall was absolutely Phenomenal!  All of the hard work that had been poured into it proved to be very successful. It was a day I will never forget for another reason as well. 



My daughter Ashleigh in front of the auditorium at Carnegie Hall and her husband Matt working behind the scenes.  I did not take the image of Ashleigh in this post share~


A few of my acquaintances  from the Be Strong team as well as Laurene and her family and their three dogs~



After knowing and becoming very dear friends on Facebook. Laurene and I both bought dogs 6 years ago from our dear friend Theresa. Her Tessa and my Silveit are sisters. Then 2 years ago we each got two more puppies. Laurene got Rudy and I got Svetka. It's been a precious friendship and having her attend the Be Strong event  at Carnegie Hall was so special!  I went home with her and her husband and enjoyed a wonderful visit with the family~   







Chance Encounters. Have you ever met someone and felt like you had known them already? I have many times and felt comfortable with the conversation and the time spent together. Last week, getting to spend time with my dear friend Laurene and her family. Spending time getting to know those who came to support and encourage the Be Strong effort, all such wonderful, loving, kind, like minded people. This seems to add up the beauty of those experiences. 


People Who Touch Our Lives

“Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to a new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same.



The dog on the right is Tessa who is sister to our Silveit.  They will be 6 in January.  In the middle is Rudy who is brother of our Svetka who turned 2 this past May.  The beauty on the left is Schatzie who is 4~



23 comments:

  1. Brilliant pictures of the Hawk in flight. I love New York, and your pitctures just make me want to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Mary! Wonderful post on our visit to NYC. Your daughter's work on the Be Strong is awesome. I am glad you could be there for the event. Love the warbler and the story on seeing the famous Hawk. I have heard about it in the past. Looks like you were able to visit and see a lot of the city. I am sure the Ground Zero is a very somber place to visit. I enjoy your post and wonderful photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fantastic pictorial of your trip to NYC. I love NYC. It's so vibrant and active and quite pretty too. I stopped at the very same park to rest a bit when I was there a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos and the dogs are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mary,
    Loved seeing New York through your eyes. Great Photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary, what a sensational time you had in NYC, the sights, the memories & the friends plus quality time with your daughter and her husband, a time to cherish. I can just imagine how amazed you felt to capture those shots of Pale Male, it is a fascinating story indeed. Thank you for taking the MM crowd to the Big Apple with you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beutiful time to be in NY! Loved seeing your photos. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those hawk flight photos...I'm speechless. Thanks for the tour of NYC!!

    I'm running a bit late visiting this weekend since I spent about 5 hours in the ER with heart issues. Thanks for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... what an adventure to visit NY! One day I flight to NY too. Happy MosaicMonday

    A lovely post, I enjoyed it!
    Heidrun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful adventure you and your daughter had in NYC. I can depend on you to find the wildlife where ever you may roam! I've read quite a bit about pale male and how wonderful you were able to "capture" him in your marvelous images. Have a fun filled week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you got to make this trip and have so many amazing experiences! I meet people that I feel instantly comfortable with. Love your post and the links to the stories about the NYC hawk! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great series of NYC photos, they are beautiful. I remember hearing about Pale Male, you captured some great photos of him. Glad you enjoyed your visit and thanks for sharing your photos. I enjoyed seeing them,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow ~ What a variety of 'critters' you managed to photograph and what a fun time in NYC for you and great photos too!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A fabulous trip to NYC, and I was not the least bit surprised to see that you found nature there … animals have an amazing way of adapting to man's environment …. stunning shots of Pale Male - thanks for sharing all the links. Be Strong!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful visit to NYC. Your photos of the buildings and skyline are gorgeous. What a special treat to get to see Pale Male and take a few photos. Truly a memorable trip in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello. New York is beautiful city. Photos are wonderful. Photos of hawk are great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must have been a wonderful experience! So many critters in town...even the hawk. I particularly like the views from above.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mary. I think maybe you were in NYC when our son Carl and his wife Danielle were there. They had a five day break that they loved although they came back broke because they said it was very expensive. Loved the story of Pale Male. Trust you to go birding, even in NYC! Common Yellowthroat?

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have a love/hate relationship with new yours city. living only one hour from the city, we can visit anytime but i feel somewhat overwhelmed while i am there. i love bryant park and the beautiful carousel there, did you see it. bryant park becomes a shopping "mall" during christmas, with temporary enclosed shops, it is wonderful.

    i love and always visit st. patricks cathedral, you captured some beautiful images. if you like "the city" seeing it at christmas time is a must!! i do not know the hawk story, i am going to go back now and read it!! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i read about pale male, an interesting story i knew nothing about!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome photos, lovely mosaics.
    have a good week

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary, what a wonderful happy and amazing post. Congratulations on both finding Pale Male and on taking those amazing pictures. No wonder you are receiving all those likes and shares on his FB page!! Your daughter and SIL are definitely to be congratulated for all their fine work .... and I am so glad you got to share some time with both girls in the Big City; thank you for sharing the wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~