Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, March 3, 2018

February Ending Brought Flood Waters Rushing~


Above a sign of newness to come...the Snow Crocus are in bloom.  Framed here by a small overflowing creek that created a tiny waterfall~

What a week...not so bad on the home front, but for thousands of people in my county and areas all over the state of Kentucky and beyond, it was a flood disaster...and much of the area a state was declared in a state of emergency.  We were in need of rain and wow have we had it.   Five days of rain and when it came, it was relentless, pouring down at times in sheets for hours.  Our creek here on Tingsgrove forms a T.  It runs between our 2  1/2 acres and then across the entirety of the back.  On Friday the area received another nearly 6" of rain onto an already saturated sodden land.  The downpours that we had on Saturday caused our creek to overflow out into the land that we call home.  It brought with it debris from who know where down the lane~ 

Feeling sad for and lifting up those who have either lost, or received damage to their homes, belongings and businesses during this recent event~ 

* Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after   you have read the narratives~



I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter

Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
 Linking to I'd Rather B Birdin'

    
Maggie's  MOSAIC MONDAY
                                              https://normandylife.blogspot.com/


 Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global 
   http://communalglobal.blogspot.ca/


Stewart for:





This small herd of White-tailed Deer down near the Ohio River seemed confused, not so much by me as they have grown accustomed to seeing my face, but just the conditions changing on the ground around them as it poured down rain on them~





A Bald Eagle hunting for breakfast in an area that is normally just farm land~


The Hays Kennedy Park was shut down due to high water.  
The picnic bench and waste can seemed lost in the water, no one to tell secrets to.
A Common Goldeneye swan far from my lens capability and yet I snapped away to get one anyway~




When a friend of mine and I had spotted this pair of Red-tailed Hawks they too were covered in rain and as we took a few shots, the rain kept pounding them and us~


After the water in our yard receded, we found that the nearly 36 year old bridge that my husby had built had been swept about 20' from where it had been anchored all of these years.  The husby will try and get it back together and make it useful once again~


These are a couple of images that I took when I checked on Birds of Prey en-route to an appointment in the city.  No Raptors, but I did get a single male Mallard~




*********************************************************************************


The other day quite by accident I came upon a friend of a friend share on Facebook.  A lovely young lady by the name of Molly Miller...and a new friend for me now as well.  She and a couple of other people went out on a boat to be able to get some images of the flooded areas.  They turned out quite remarkable and show some of the devastation that has occurred along the banks of the Ohio River this past week.  It's the worst flooding to our area since 1997.  
The 6 shares that I have selected of Molly's many photographs taken are near and dear to my heart for these are sights that I drive past several times every month. I grew up within 5 miles of where these were taken and it is heart breaking knowing that many have lost so much.  They will rebuild, they will renovate and they will be okay, but for now...it's rough!  
This is the Scenic Route that I have often mentioned in my blog posts over the years. This is the road that takes me to Eagles, and a variety of Hawks and even the Peregrine Falcons that nest upon one of the bridges that crosses the river~
All credit for the next 6 photographs are given to: Molly Miller~



The Knights of Columbus~


Red-tailed Hawks live here ;) ~


The Louisville Boat Club, a place that I have been familiar with since I was quite young~




Part of the Kentucky Scenic Route which is very near and dear to my heart...I have driven this road hundreds of times and never tire of the beauty~


Thank you again Molly Miller for allowing me to share these wonderful photographs~


*********************************************************************************

A Mourning Dove above checking out the click of the shutter from outside my window~



The Eastern Bluebirds are arriving in very nice numbers.  This one was perched outside our front door~




My friend Reva and I took to the streets one day this past week and we stopped to see these gorgeous Sycamore trees mingled into colours of Winter~


This Northern Mocking Bird was so cute, as it kept nodding it's head as I snapped photographs of it~



A Red-tailed Hawk hunts along the road where I travel to market~


Reflections where reflections usually are not seen, due to the flood water~


Another Red-tailed Hawk taking off for places unknown to me...not far away though~



First year Red-Shouldered Hawk seemed slightly upset and out of sorts for a day of watching over it~






My favorites of some old bones structures taken on recent country ride with the husby and our 3 dogs
Yes... ;) I meant to say bones~

















Along a wide creek with rushing flood waters, an old shed is locked in now upon the bank~


14 comments:

  1. Amazing photos of the flood waters. We were at Pickwick on the Tennessee River yesterday, and the water is higher than I have ever seen it. And I know it is on its way through Kentucky to the Ohio River. All we can do is pray for folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers to all those affected by the flooding :(

    Love those shots of the deer

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much water and so much damage. These photos show what the rising flood waters can do to your area of Kentucky. So sorry for those living through this destruction. I'm in western Kentucky and appreciate you sharing these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Mary! Awesome captures of all your birds. Nice looking hawks. Prayers for all the flood victims, I hope the waters have receded by now. Our power went out due to a wind storm, I am able to make some comments while hubby has our generator working. Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flooding is so devastating ... I hope things get back to normal soon for those that are affected. As always, your post offers a delightful variety of photos ... I especially liked all the 'old bones'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The damages & losses because of the weather has been tragic!

    Loved all your birds today Mary!! Sharing this blog post with us at I R B B this weekend is much appreciated, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mary,:) Lovely shots of the deer, and all the pretty birds, and awesome IF Hawk captures.

    We have had flooding here in Portugal too. Torrential rain, for days on end has done a lot of damage, but nothing like what can be seen in Molly Millers photos. How dreadful! Just heart breaking for all the flood victims, and my prayers are with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for all the flooding, hope the waters recede soon. Great photos that really capture the damage as well as the beautiful creatures in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much water. So sad. Reminds me of Harvey. Your old bones images are wonderful ... such character and texture. Your bird images are always lovely. Stay dry! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really has been a crazy weather week for so much of the nation! We are having our best weather right now so we're trying to get out a couple of times every week. Love your beautiful deer! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flood images are startling. Such wild storms occurring around the world, it seems. Rebuilding will take a long time. The birds and deer adapt more quickly than we humans with all of our stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness, that is serious flooding indeed so sorry that you lost your bridge I hope it can be restored in place. Molly Miller's photographs of Louisville under flood waters are amazing, thank you for sharing them with us. My heart goes out to all those coping with the aftermath. Loved the shots of the old barns or bones (!) so atmospheric the aged patina of the boards is testimony to the life they've had. Hope things get back to normal for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Mary,

    I cannot believe the devastation caused by flood waters around your beautiful state! How awful; my heart goes out to all of the folks who have been affected by this natural disaster. I'm glad that your husband will be able to rectify the problems surrounding your creek; thank goodness, it was limited to that. Molly Miller's images of your beloved scenic route are shocking and you must have been very sad to see the horrifying effects on it.

    On a happier note, the blue birds are adorable and the deer, although confused re: the weather conditions, seem resourceful enough to survive. And the flowers, so pretty and delicate, are always a sight for sore eyes. They are little symbols of hope, aren't they?

    I hope that you are feeling better, my friend. I've missed you and think about you often. Every morning, I awake with the intention of getting my chores done and errands completed in town, thinking I'll have time to catch up with all my favouite blogger buddies, but as you mentioned on my current post, time has a way of taking over. In any case, I'm here now and I've enjoyed my visit to your amazing world, as always.


    Wishing you the most wonderful, whimsical spring!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~