Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Friday, January 19, 2018

Snow Cubs and Snow Birds Delight~


These two images are of our Meaka~



We finally got a spot of snow, some 5" but first a layer of ice beneath that.  It made things quite slick until we got the snow.  The sun came out the day after and with bitter cold temperatures of a high of 7'.  Even with that kind of cold,  it was time for the three dogs to have a big snow romp.  I first let the 10 year old Meaka out with the younger 20 month old Svetka.   After they had their snow fun, I let the middle girl 5 year old Silveit out for her fun in the sun and snow.  



Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after                                                                you have read the narratives~

I am joining in the fun with Eileen at:
Saturday's Critter

Anni at:
http://id-rather-b-birdin.blogspot.com/ 
I'd Rather Be Birdin'
 Linking to I'd Rather B Birdin'

    
Maggie's  MOSAIC MONDAY
                                              https://normandylife.blogspot.com/


 Wednesday Around the World at Communal Global 
   http://communalglobal.blogspot.ca/


Stewart for:


These two images are of our Silveit~


And these two images are of our Svetka~


My husband Bill went out to make sure that the girls stayed safe.  They all get snow balls on their feet that have to be removed~


We lost another tree this week.  A very tall old Oak.  It fell into our next door neighbor's yard.  Bill too a couple of days to begin logging it out until the logs themselves actually froze to the ground and then his chainsaw quit working~



We got an alert this week that was very exciting for me.  A dark morph Rough Legged Hawk was spending time hunting the corn fields for rodents less than five miles from where we live.  I find them stunning. They They are a large Arctic species that has come very far to hunt this land near where we live... pretty neat!  The next day a light morph RLH appeared as well.  There is also a pair of Northern Harriers working the land and an American Kestrel.  Now what I really want to see is there is also a Short Eared Owl hunting there and several have been fortunate enough to see and photograph it.  I am going back again Thursday morning and see if I can spot it. The land is frozen some 4" under the soil line at this time.  The Owl hangs close to the frozen pond and the hay bale areas...wish me some good fortune as well~



Early morning light and 11' on this frozen land, that is so beautiful~


I was pretty far away from the birds, yet was delighted to finally get this wonderful opportunity~










Ice covered barbed wire~


Something about the rust and the ice was quite lovely to me.
Where the Short Eared Owl hangs close to~


I believe that this is one of the Northern Harriers...dark morph would be adult female~



Possibly the male Northern Harrier...please anyone who needs to correct me, I would appreciate it~


American Kestrel~


The light morph Northern Harrier, I am pretty sure~




As the sunshine began to lower it created an amber glow on the ice covered fencing~



This little House Finch has some light apricot pigmentation going on, presumably from eating so many tiny red berry seeds~


Oh I LOVED this one~
Tufted Titmouse...what is not CUTE about the little chaps!!!






Eastern Towhee came to visit...this is a male~


American Goldfinch eating seeds from Rose of Sharon that my dear mother gifted me with over 30 years ago...she would be pleased~



We usually get about a dozen Dark-eyed Juncos in the Winter months.  This year for the first time ever we have great numbers as well as the same for the Finches~





My youngest daughter and I went to a nursery 15 years ago and took a wagon ride out into a field of Norway Spruce trees.  She and I each selected our favorites and now here they are today.  Her tree is taller than mine... Mine was hit by another fallen Oak tree that was 97' tall from base to top many years ago.  The tree trunk...I kid you not, landed right between both trees and pinned mine down until my husband could free it~



I was just getting ready to close the patio door curtain the other day when I spotted this wee little Brown Tree Creeper.  I had not seen one for a very long while...

Poppy,...I know that you love Blue Jays and here are a few selections that I made just for you.  
Enjoy~

http://poppyview.blogspot.com/



Finally at last a European Starling eating some berry fruit outside the garden window.  I am not certain, but it looks like it's right eye may have a problem, but it flew very well and ate for a long time~
This Northern Mockingbird, did not know that I was so close to it and kept looking for me~


Sunrise, not sunset over the fields where the Arctic type birds have been visiting~



18 comments:

  1. A lot to admire in the post from your beautiful dogs all the way through to the wonderful sunrise photo! I see most of your birds here in north Mississippi, but I don't get as good photos as you did. The one that really stands out to me is the Kestrel. I saw one a few years ago at a bird rehab place, but I've never seen one in the wild.
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary, your photos are beautiful. I have so many favorites. I just love your dogs. The birds are awesome, great captures of the Kestrel. Love the snowy road and fence scene. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An awesome variety of birds. Love the pups! The winter scenes are beautiful. I would like to see some snow, but don't want it to stick around more than a day or two. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all those critters. Lovely photography.

    Hugs to those beautiful pups

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many lovely photos. Love the kestrel in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what stunning pics you have shared. They are so gorgeous, love each one especially the finch eating the berries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dogs are so beautiful! Always love seeing them! Beautiful shots of the fences, trees and fowl of varying kinds. Lovely post! Loved the last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!:) Lovely winter scenes, and a delightful selection of bird and dog images. Beautiful photography!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these winter scenes are so beautiful Mary!!!! From the frosted fencing to the wonderful birds amongst the fallen snow. And your dogs....gorgeous!!!

    And, I want to convey my thanks to you for sharing this post with all of us birders from I'd Rather B Birdin' this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All your photos are so beautiful. I can't pick a favorite. Your dogs looks so happy in the snow. Great captures of the brown tree creeper, I know those little birds don't like to stay still for any length of time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post, a real feast for the eyes. Loved seeing your girls playing in the snow, my little cocker spaniel, Ben, would always come back in with "snow balls" on his legs and ears after playing I the white stuff. I used to stand him in a bowl of warm water and wait for him to melt! Gorgeous bird captures in the snow, how you know so much about them astounds me, happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Warm Wishes. Thanks for your share of photos today

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness you have so many wonderful images I do not know where to start.
    You dogs are gorgeous and they do love the snow. On of my favorite raptors is the Northern Harrier and of course the colorful Kestrel. I have not to my knowledge seen a RLH as of yet. Your bird sightings are wonderful and the snow and frost images excellent.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snowy scenes sure make a pretty setting for the birds! Glad you got outside with your camera! Love the ice on the fences too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos, Mary. The frosty landscape allows the birds to show up so well. It's great that you saw some new-to-you birds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ice on the fences - glimmering in the sun - gorgeous! I also adore the shot of the large tree with the road wrapping 'round it - so scenic! The goldfinch with a one-footed grasp on the Rose of Sharon seed-head - he's quite determined! Thanks for this collection of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mary, your photos are so beautiful! Love the dogs and the birds and the sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like your dogs are enjoying the snow Mary. I love seeing snowy pics from the northern hemisphere this time of year in summer Australia. I've only seen snow once in my life, I hope I can again one day. Your birds always beautiful. I loved the sun back-lit fence, and your last shot of the tree and fence against the sunset is a winner for me. Stay warm and cosy. I hope you get back to your knitting. Hugs. x

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~