Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Saturday, April 16, 2016

Bald Eagle, or Wild Turkey and Hawk Nest Update~






Yes, that would be me...photographing the Bald Eagles and catching my reflection in the window. I even cut off my head, oh my! ;)
Did you know?  
Of course we from this country do, but maybe others did not know...Most all of the nations have taken on a particular animal as the symbol of that nation.  
On Declaration day in 1776 the Continental Congress asked three men to select a national seal for our country...Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and John Adams.  On June 20, 1782, the American Bald Eagle was chosen.  There was however a huge brouhaha in that Benjamin Franklin supported having the Wild Turkey as our  seal.  Thus the first Bird controversy to have at the time been such a big deal!
And so...this week I am sharing both the Bald Eagle and the Wild Turkey.  Which one would you have chosen?



Remember to double click on the first image, to view a larger slideshow presentation after                                                                you have read the narratives~

I will be linking up with Judith for:

www.lavendercottagegardening.com

&

Stewart for:
   http://paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com.au/









Bald Eagles near the Ohio River, somewhere in Kentucky~






The female above, and below the male~


The regal looking female~











Spring Tulips and Daffodils to break the suspense ;) and to add a touch of colour~






The first set of Wild Turkey images were taken in the pouring rain and shared on here before in their original form.  This time I got a little artsy with them~









The kinds of fields around here that you will find Wild Turkeys~





And here they are and oh my I do hope those big fellas stay safe.  Hunting season for them begins today through May 8...
I do not like that at all!





The Red-Shouldered Hawks continue to struggle, but slowly and assuredly they are figuring it out.  This woman... has been so stressed over health issues and then making the decision to be so passionate about these beauties has for this year been the worst for them yet, and then you have the kindness of these men!  Truly a remarkable bunch of young men.  The Louisville Gas and Electric Company was awesome to have sent the same crew back out on Monday and they redirected the hot wires on transformer pole as the hawks had decided they liked it...even though the nest was falling away already~
Hot wires turned off~


Gentle hands place an egg into the well of the nest, as it was atop the transformer and not in nest well.  If there is a nest, with an egg in place, you cannot take the nest down.  The eggs and nest are protected by the United States Government!


Redirecting the wire~



The very day thee crew left the hen appeared near by~



The female flying off the top of her revised transformer~


Next two images following copulation behavior~




And then an egg fell and while they have visited the nest several times, I am thinking they may have a change of plans.  Nature has it's way and there is only so much we can do to help.  We shall see how the plan unfolds soon~


21 comments:

  1. Great photos. I'm glad to see the power company came back and disabled the hot wire. But how heart breaking, to see the last photo, of the broken egg. (And I would have chosen the majestic, soaring Bald Eagle over the Wild Turkey, which can barely fly.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! The Bald Eagle is gorgeous. You have so many awesome shots. Those Turkey tails are quite amazing! I love all your flowers too... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos of the eagles. They're very handsome birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww...I always enjoy this visit. Especially in awe of the eagle shots starting with image #10. Absolutely gorgeous frames.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just magnificent photos!!! Even the one of your reflection is pretty good. Chances are you'd not gotten such a good photo like that if you'd have tried! Have a grand week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting, Good to have moved the hot wire. We had three eaglets electrocuted two years ago here in western kentucky. Have spotted two red shouldered nests this year after the hawks were setting. Today spotted one fuzzy white head. Great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mary. Thank You for your kind wishes. We do eventually catch up don’t we?

    Your question is easily answered by me – the Bald Eagle for sure – a majestic creature wild and free and one (mostly) respected by us humans and not seen as a source of food?

    I am so pleased that the Wild Turkeys you show are truly wild. They certainly look it in keeping their distance from your lens.

    That’s a heartening story about the Power Company and it’s good to see that there are other people who care enough to take time out to help our wildlife.

    I’m sorry to hear that you not 100%, but stick with it and keep up the good work of sharing and caring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mary, awesome post and photos. I love the Eagles, and the turkeys. The flowers are beautiful too. Happy Tuesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Bald Eagle is marvellous, and the Hawk, fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos....the eagle is a handsome bird indeed.
    Lovely shots of the turkeys and hawks!
    Thank you - enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pick the Eagle such a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photos Mary. We see lots of Bald Eagles here but I have never seen a wild turkey on the island.
    The story of the workers disabling the wires was touching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for sharing your post. You are such a great wildlife photographer and I love your eagle an turkey :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful flower photos, Mary, and very handsome birds. I too think the Bald Eagle is the right choice, much more beautiful and noble.
    Wishing you good health and happy bird-watching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos, Mary! What a thrill tobe able to see the eagles nesting and the red shouldered hawks--glad the hot wire was removed. When I lived in Brooklyn, NY, there were wild parrots --yes, parrots--nesting in electrical transformers in our neighborhood. It helped them survive the winters. I blogged about it years ago. I hope those beautiful turkeys survive the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photos as always Mary. I think I would have chosen the Bald Eagle - he seems a magnificent bird, but I love that tail on the Wild Turkey too. I hope the nesting season comes good for your hawks Mary. Enjoy spring. Your flower photos are truly beautiful. Have a lovely weekend ahead Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The flight shots are so wonderful. I love your eagles too... I have not been very lucky with photos of ours this year. Special thanks for the beautiful Spring flowers which bring wonderful memories to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful blooms! loved the eagle shots, too. the turkeys made me smile. love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How I adore your photos of the eagles, turkeys and hawks. A shame one of the eggs fell and I hope the pair does have another plan.
    Nice to see spring colour, isn't it? Hope the seasonal changes bring you some joy throughout your health issues Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes...you all tried your absolute best! It's such a shame to lose that egg!!! So glad you kept us apprised of the situation. Hope the pair will try again elsewhere. LOVE the eagle and turkey photos and the flowers. I do love turkeys, but I think the eagle was the wisest choice! So majestic and powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful birds and blooms! What could be better to celebrate Spring? Thank you so much for sharing. I find the eagle and turkey each magnificent in their own way.

    We've been fortunate in the past two weeks to have located 24 Red-shouldered Hawk nesting sites! The population here appears to be robust.

    Hope the weekend finds you well.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~