Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Tragic Find, Which Shall Possibly Forever Change the Bond~

It is very unusual for me to go into the city on a Friday.  

My knee has been causing me fits for weeks and I finally had enough pain and resorted to making an appointment to have an injection.  

On Wednesday after feeding the 3 feral cat colonies, we made a quick pass by one of my favorite places to visit and I saw that the Tulips were about to open.  That being said, and since I was going to be in town anyway, why not, with the high cost of fuel, as the saying goes, "kill two birds with one stone..." 

I arrived at the site just minutes after the gates opened at 8:00 AM.  Before driving to the Tulip beds, I thought about the rare encounter I had seen on March 14, when the Red-Shouldered Hawk had mated with the Red-tailed Hawk.  I had learned two weeks later that the nest had failed and then last Saturday one of the groundskeepers rang me up to tell me that he had witnessed the Red-shouldered Hawk and pair of Red-tailed Hawks soaring together and that there seemed to have been some activity in the area of both last year's nest and the new nest are, just a couple of acres away.

  Immediately my mind changed course and I decided to check it out first and I am thankful, so thankful that I did.  As I approached the nest area, I saw a Red-shouldered Hawk on the ground and as I drove by, it never flew away.  My hope was that it had landed on a meal and maybe just waiting to move it higher.  Quickly I turned my car around and went back and it was still on the ground.  I slowly got out of my car with camera in hand and was taking photographs , but as I got closer, I could tell something was really wrong, the bird seemed stunned, and I went in save this hawk mode!  I put my camera down and lifted the injured hawk up into my arms.  In all of the years of watching these beauties, I had only handled juvenile Red-shouldered Hawks, never an adult before. 

My heart was going through so many emotions, but I had to act quickly!  I rang up my friend Chuck Culp with Wingspan of Kentucky.  Fortunately, I know this number by heart and Chuck answered.  Chuck had me take the hawk to a Veterinary office that he works with, not too far away.  I held the hawk close to me...yes, I was buckled in all the way there, speaking softly and telling him, he could not die on my watch!

A couple of hours went by and I finally spoke with Chuck...the good news, the hawk was alive...the bad news, he had a serious head injury causing one totally detached retina and one partially detached retina.  DREAD IT, I hated the news!  Chuck later took the bird to another Veterinarian who checked out the birds eyes, which were now filled with blood.  He loaded the bird up with medications and Chuck took him to his rehab/release facility.  It will be at least 3 weeks before we know how those beautiful eyes are healing.

One can release an Owl with only one eye, but not a hawk.  If this beauty can only see with one eye, maybe he can be used for educational purposes, but my ultimate prayer, is that he see with both eyes once again~

So many wonderful people that have joined the Riff Raff Hawkwatch page on Facebook have been posting comments about this hawk...does he know how special he has become...  Thank you to those caring individuals too! 
 
Many thanks to Chuck, to Wingspan of KY and all wildlife rehab/release facilities. 
Chuck is calling the hawk CH for now.
This make me want to reclaim my federal rehab and release permit in many ways, yet not so easy to come by any longer.

Please keep this beauty in your heart thoughts, that he will survive, that he will recover his vision, that he will be able to be released one day soon, once again, to soar with his unusual friends the Red-tailed hawks, and that maybe, just maybe, I can share those images in the not so distant future.

For wildlife, for each of us...life can change in a matter of a heartbeat...be kind to yourself, nature and mankind and take care~



 




















I am also linking with World Bird Wednesday, please visit other birding photographers and enthusiasts from around the world at:




http://www.pineriverreview.blogspot.com/

31 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for stopping by Normandy Life so that I in turn could find you!
    I was absolutely fascinated by your post and the photo's of this stunning creature.
    I wish him well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to hear that about the hawk, but I'm very glad you were able to find it and get it medical attention. Good for you, Mary! I know you'll let us know how it's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope that he'll be alright. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mary! I am so glad you were able to rescue this beautiful hawk and I hope his eyes will heal again so that he can fly free. My guess is that he flew into a glass window--some are so clear that birds don't realize that they can't fly through them.

    I've seen red tailed hawks in the local parks in Brooklyn, NY, where I live and I am always so pleased they are making a comeback. There was even reports of a bald eagle living in a large cemetery in Brooklyn -- a sight that has not been seen for a hundred or more years here!

    I do love you writings, and visiting your blog very much. Unfortunately my time has been very limited lately, as I am clearing out my Mom's house and also doing last minute wedding plans for my daughter. Both events will be finished in May and I should be back on a computer time schedule then and will visit your blog more often.

    I hope you had a very happy Easter!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got my fingers and just about everythiong else crossed for the hawk Mary. Thank goodness it was you who found it and able to get the bird the attention it needed so soon. Here's hoping - you did everything and probably more than anyone could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a beauty and I hope he makes it and is released thanks to your kindness.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post. The little one is adorable and I hope all will go well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you came across it when you did. i hope he can recover. he's in the best hands possible, sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a touching story. I am amazed at how quickly you responding to help this hawk. I hope the hawk survives and all is well. Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is so sad...I really hope he gets well!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post! I am so glad you were able to get help when you found him, he is such a beautiful bird! Please do a follow up if you can to let us know his outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are doing great work Mary -- I hope he will completely recover. Such beautiful pictures -- thank you for taking time to share them and your story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a story Mary. You seem to be in the cross hairs when it comes to experiencing strange hawk phenomenons. I wonder what catastrophe befell your hawk? It sounds like you forgot all about your knee appointment with all the excitment!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are such beautiful birds, I do hope he will recover. You didn't mention if the injury was human caused or natural.
    My recent observation of a heron nest made me realize that nature can be quite cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos but a tragedy for the hawk. It was very lucky you came by when you did and I hope it does recover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful bird. I hope he will be okay. Your photos are beautiful, too - they really tell the story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for stopping by my blog - I am so glad I found yours - your story is amazing and I truly hope the hawk is OK - I shall be back to check!
    I love your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good shots and am sure he will be alright soon!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for all of the very kind comments.
    I have not heard any news, except that the hawk is stable, and I am so hoping healing fully in time.
    What I think happened, as often does with Raptors...
    It was a very narrow lane and 2 maintenance vehicles had gone by, just a minute ahead of me. The hawk probably dove to get a chippy, or something and hit the vehicle in doing so. Most are killed outright.
    I did make it in time for my needle injection to my knee.
    There will be updates, but it is going to be a long recovery, weeks. I will try to get some photographs, but that may also be slow going.
    Thank you again~

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're a good person. I hope the hawk is ok. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi – it’s terrible when we find something like this - hope the bird makes a good recovery - although it sounds as if the cards are stacked against it.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Australia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mary,
    This is such a compelling story. I hope all the best for the hawk and admire your kindness and quick-thinking in getting it the attention it needed. Whatever the outcome, your caring shone through.
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a heart tugger, Mary! I so hope he will be ok, and if he makes it, he'll certainly have you to thank.
    Nice to see your lovely face on my blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I sure hope he recovers - he's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a story! I'm glad that you saved the hawk and I hope it's eye can be saved!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I do hope this little beauty recovers quickly and is able to fly free again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'd think the hawk was lucky you came along to help it. U hope it will be all right and that it will see again!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad you were there to rescue this beautiful bird. Sending strong thoughts of health and healing his way.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well done Mary! I hope he'll be fine, and your photos are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jeanie Merritt
    While visiting my daughter,DeAnn, over the Easter holiday in the beautiful,rolling countryside near Louisville, Ky. I was amazed at the stories she told me about a neighbor named Mary, who is a published author and photographer and is a a lover of nature and all beautiful things that it had to offer. She told me of her gentleness and the passion she has in her heart for God's creatures. She also has taken some pretty awesome pictures of flowers, which you know is right up my alley. She blogged yesterday on her site http://tingsgrove.blogspot.com/ and posted a couple of pictures and a paragraph taken on and about my daughter. Nestled in a tree with split branches my former husband ,before his passing, had placed an old tin roofed birdhouse. He then planted a tiny sprig of ivy that has since embraced the tree and growing higher each year. While I was there I took a picture so similiar to hers it is canny and when I saw it on her post this morning I was amazed. Visit Mary's site...for some interesting stories as well as photos that will relax you,humble you,and make you know how very lucky we are,indeed, to be a part of God's plan. Mary has since requested me as a friend and now I hope I can keep up on this amazing lady!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~