Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fortunate Day for a Mallard Duck and 7 Ducklings~


The other day while traveling to the market, I came upon one of those things that makes one cringe. A female Mallard Duck was walking along a 2 lane road that intersects with a 4 lane highway. There was a bit of a ditch that held some muddy water and she took her 7 ducklings for a dip in the cool water.





A very kind gentleman whom was traveling with family from Washington state had stopped by an eatery along side where this was all unfolding.




Tyrone said that while he enjoyed hunting, he held a heart of compassion, when he saw things like this taking place...for surely disaster was in the wait.


I decided to use my car, driving at a snail's pace along side the 2 lane road and stopped where the 4 lanes intersected. Tyrone walked along side the far side of this duck family, slowly guiding them to the main highway. We waved our hands and got traffic to stop, as we walked the ducklings and momma duck across the road. Once we got to the curb on the far side, we had to help the little ducklings up over the curb, as their momma kept quacking all the while.




There happened to be a drugstore across the parking lot and as we walked along the sidewalk, passing it, momma duck seemed momentarily interested in making a pit stop, but Tyrone and I kept she and her youngsters moving.




A large field is behind the drugstore and I also knew that somewhere in the woods behind this was a nice creek that flowed into a pond. I went and checked on the duck family yesterday and none of them were in view, so I am so hoping that they have made it to water and a long life of duck adventures. Once I crossed back over to where my car was parked, I saw that a police officer had pulled up behind me. He seemed a little bit annoyed, but also smiled and waved me on...whew...that was close for many reasons ;) ~


Special thanks to Tyrone for his kind efforts! I gave him one of my cards and maybe he will see this and smile~

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post Mary with a happy ending thanks to you and Tyrone. Always amazes me the routes the females will take just to get to water.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~