Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Monday, August 23, 2010

She Yelled for Well Over Ninety Minutes~

Returning home from marketing and exiting the car, I heard one of the adult hawks yelling a couple of acres from home. I went ahead and carried my parcels inside and unpacked and stored them away, and the whole time the adult was yelling. I then gathered my camera up, sprayed for mosquitos and went about locating it. Once I slipped into the wooded area near where it was, I could tell that it was the female, for she saw me and she stayed. She continued yelling and as I was able to get closer, I could tell that she had something in the tree that she was trying to keep nearby, yet obviously could not tackle on her own. It had to have been a very large snake. She was yelling for her partner to come help, also for the young one to come to her to partake of a great meal. From the time that I had first arrived home, until I finally went inside, was ninety full minutes of her yelling. She would leap in front of what was on the huge limb she was perched upon and then fly a few trees away looking and yelling and then go back to what seemed to be slithering down the branch each time she would return. In all of that while neither the male, nor the juvie ever even yelled back. As I left to return home, she had finally given up her bounty and left~

NOTE:  To hear what I love to hear often, please check out this site, the sound of the Red-Shouldered Hawk.  When you hear their voice for real, it is so loud, you can hear it acres away.  They are one of the loudest and most vocal of any raptors~
http://www.hangingrocktower.org/calls/red-shouldered.htm

1 comment:

  1. Wow I guess this was really nice to hear but although a bit scary! Beautifl pictures you got as usually!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~