Cherish is my favorite word, and I cherish the ability of turning the routine into a beautiful moment.
Nature creates in me, a spiritual and meditative time to bring peace, harmony and balance, into an otherwise ordinary day~
Mary Howell Cromer







Sunday, April 11, 2010

Then the loud noise began and my anxiety increased, knowing only too well what this might mean for the hawks~

Both yesterday and most of this day the neighbor's that live next door to where the new hawk nest was had been using their power washer. The noise was like a loud compressor, going several hours each day. I had seen no action at nest since late yesterday morning, when once again the hawks had copulated...I was so very hopeful. Then the loud noise began and my anxiety increased, knowing only too well what this might mean for the hawks. Then today after church, I waited, I listened, and I watched, and all that I heard was that power washer and then in the distance the sound of one hawk... still wondering...and then from my binoculars, I could see it... a broken egg at base of nest tree trunk. The hawk had stressed and knocked the egg out before leaving. ( I Later found part of a second egg ) I could see that the nest was still there, but some of the greenery was hanging a bit. She had stressed too much and has abandoned this nest now as well. I do not know how many tries they give it, but this is her third week of breeding and of course 15 days of brooding her first batch of eggs. I am still hopeful, yet the canopy of leafing on trees is just about complete and I have no clue as to whether she will continue with another try at this one, the old one, a new one, or just abandon the thought until next year. This evening my heart aches once again, even though it was not intentional, it still was something that could have been avoided~

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog by way of Wildlife Photography Blogs. What a moving and sad post . . . a poignant reminder of the profound repercussions sometimes incurred by the most mundane actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just believe that the hawk are used to that cause otherwise they will not nest there, but still your neighbor were pretty nature-less care taker ! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy each visitor to "Red Shouldered Hawks of Tingsgrove and Beyond" I truly appreciate those who have become followers to my blog and really am encouraged by the wonderful comments.
FYI if you leave ANONYMOUS comments, they will never get published, so please don't waste your time.

Thanking you~